Did you know that August is National Curb Appeal Month? All month, homeowners have been encouraged to improve the visual appeal of their property, as seen from the street. Many homeowners know that this can include their house's paint, roofing, windows, lawn, and garden, but not many people think about their driveway. Nothing can ruin the attractiveness of an asphalt driveway like the eyesore of an oil stain.
We at Stasi Brothers know a thing or two about asphalt, as well as the importance of good home aesthetics. Here are some ways to remove a pesky oil stain from your driveway.
The sooner you treat the stain, the easier it is to remove. If you notice an oil stain tarnishing your driveway, you should begin trying to remove it as soon as possible. The longer you leave the stain to soak into the pavement, the more difficult it becomes to get rid of.
You can use what you already have. The good news about these oil stains is that they can be removed with common household products. After you soak up the excess oil with a disposable cloth or rag, you can eliminate what is left with one of the following products:
- Cat Litter – pour a generous amount of kitty litter over the stain and gently rub it into the ground with your foot. Allow the litter to sit for at least two hours (or overnight if it is an old stain) before sweeping it up and hosing off your driveway.
- Coca-Cola – depending on the size of the oil spot, pour a can or two of Coca-Cola (Pepsi works too!) on it and allow the soda to set in for 10 minutes. Then, scrub the spot with a brush and hose off your driveway when the stain has vanished.
- Dish Soap – this method works best on a cool day. Completely cover the stain with a liberal amount of dish soap (such as Dawn) and allow it to sit for an hour. Then, use a little bit of water and elbow grease to scrub it out with a brush. Hose off your driveway when done.
- Baking Soda – apply a liberal amount of baking soda over the oil stain and scrub it with a brush. Let it sit for approximately 30-45 minutes before washing it away.
- Laundry Detergent – you can use either a powdered or a liquid detergent for this method. No matter which kind you have, the method is the same. After covering the oil stain with detergent, add ¼ cup of water and scrub with a brush for 3-5 minutes before rinsing it away.
Stasi Brothers is Nassau County's leading provider of commercial and residential paving services. We have been family owned and operated for over 50 years, accumulating well over 15,000 satisfied customers in that time span. If you need your driveway repaved or any masonry services, contact us today!